Pug Chihuahua Mix: An In-depth Look at this Popular Dog
A Pug Chihuahua mix is a famous and loyal dog breed. This breed is also called the chug. It is a small but low maintenance dog. The loving nature of this breed makes it perfect for every household environment.
The chug is not a pure breed dog. It is a designer pup. The adorable fellow is a hybrid of the popular Pug and Chihuahua. Just like the parents, it is also a small breed dog. Its maximum height is around 10 to 14 inches.
The popularity of this four-legged designer puppy is increasing every day. In this guide, we will give you a complete overview of this adorable toy-breed. So you can decide if this super-cute fellow is best for you.
Keep on reading to know all about your chug buddy.
Origin of Pug Chihuahua Mix
The Chihuahua Pug Mix of the chug is a mixture of two pure dog breeds. Initially, it was introduced in the 2000s. The purpose was to get the positive qualities of both species. Soon the adorableness of this breed made people fall for them.
The Pug Chihuahua mix is a designer breed. But its creation is not linked with any specific breeder. It is a relatively new breed of dogs. However, do not shop the canine from any pet store. Consider adopting the little fellow.
The Chug Appearance
A pure breed Chihuahua has big eyes and pointy ears. It weighs around 6 pounds. A Chihuahua usually has a height of 5-7 inches.
A pure breed Pug weighs around 14 to 18 pounds. Their height can grow up to 10 to 13 inches.
The adorable breed has a wrinkly face, big head, and round eyes.
For mixed breeds, it is not easy to predict their appearance. Chug is a crossbreed.
So every Pug Chihuahua mix can have distant features. One Pug Chihuahua mix can be identical to a Pug. While others can adopt the attributes and qualities of a Chihuahua.
The little fellow can inherit different traits from parents. Some features can be positive, and others can be not so good. But this way you can enjoy the fun of both worlds.
Usually, Pug Chihuahua mixes have straight and short body hair. But if the parent Chihuahua had long hair, it might end up with a long coat too.
A chug pup is likely to weigh between 10-16 pounds with a muscular body. The fellow inherits a round head and brown eyes. They have a short, round, and dark nose. The Pug Chihuahua mix can have slightly flipped down ears just like the Pug. Their ears can also be folding at the peak, just like a Chihuahua.
The Pug Chihuahua mix’s attractive features make them amusing. The bouncy little fellow jumps around and loves to get attention.
Interesting Facts of the Pug Chihuahua Mix
- Your loyal Pug and Chihuahua mix have some other names too. It is also famous as Chug, Pughuahua, Pugchi, and Pugwawa.
- Typicallya Pug Chihuahua mix weight’s around 8 to 20 Pounds. Its height can be anywhere between 10 to 14 inches.
· Its breed group is designer/toy breed.
- The chug’s origin is The United States.
- Their energy level is considered as medium.
- A chug is a companion dog. These indoor dogs are super loving and affectionate. But the Pug Chihuahua mix is not suitable for outdoors.
- The average lifespan of a Pug Chihuahua mix is approximately 10 to 13 years. This means they are going to be your buddy for a long-long time.
- The color of your chug’s coat can vary between:
- Their coat is smooth. This canines shedding can vary from moderate to heavy. But usually, they are considered as big shedders. They need to be brushed many times a day.
- If you don’t want to deal with shedding, this is not the canine for you.
- The Pug Chihuahua mix are happy-go-friendly and playful puppies. They are a perfect addition to every space.
- Since the Pug Chihuahua mixes are tiny in size, they needed to be handled with care. If you have a family of children, teach them how to take care of a Pug Chihuahua mix. Do not leave them unsupervised.
- Their friendly nature lets them quickly get along with other pets and children. They will love to spend time with you.
- This might surprise you, but Pug Chihuahua mixes think they belong to a giant dog breed. (Isn’t this adorable?) This tiny fellow has a big dog mentality. The Pug Chihuahua mix are like a toddler acting like an adult. They believe they are bigger than their actual size.
- The Pug Chihuahua mix’s big dog mentality can lead them to danger. They might encounter a not so friendly big dog. With this mentality, your Pug Chihuahua mix may try to fight back. This can put him in a situation of getting injured.
- The parents of this breed are not so famous for their intelligence. But the Pug Chihuahua mix is a smart breed. It means it is easier to train them. They respond well to situations and commands.
- The Pug Chihuahua mix has a shorter attention span. They can be stubborn. But the little fellow can learn quickly.
- The Pug Chihuahua mixes are always eager to make new friends.
- They are excellent watchdogs.
What is the Temperament of a Pug Chihuahua Mix?
There are 50-50 chances that the Pug Chihuahua mix puppy will act like either parent. Its nature depends on the breeding and may vary. Their habits can be a combination of Pug and Chihuahua behavior.
The chug absolutely adore attention. This dog breed always looks for love and affection. They are perfect Lapdogs.
The Pug Chihuahua mix combines Pug’s comic personality and Chihuahua’s good behavior. But they can also suffer from anxiety because of Chihuahua parents. Their good personality traits include love and friendly nature. Bad personality traits include Pug’s stubbornness and the yappy side of a Chihuahua.
Usually, Pug Chihuahua mixes are energetic, playful, loyal, social, and fun-loving dogs.
The chug makes a great therapy dog. Many well-behaved Pug Chihuahua mixes are trained to serve hospitals, nursing homes, and rehabilitation centers.
A Pug Chihuahua mix is not an aggressive dog breed. But they can be alert of the strangers. It is best to introduce yourself before. The ideal situation is to train and socialize your chug to avoid any unwanted problems. Early socialization is crucial for a Chug. So it can learn to behave with children and other animals.
How to Groom a Pug Chihuahua Mix?
Bathing and grooming are essential steps that should not be ignored by the owner. The cute little canine has a wrinkly face. Their face and nose can easily get bacteria. It must be adequately cleaned.
Bathing your Pug Chihuahua mix also makes him a bit more social. It provides you with an opportunity to make a bond with the pup. It makes them ready for training purposes. But Pug Chihuahua mixes do not need regular bathing. Once a month is just fine.
Instructions to Bathe a Pug Chihuahua Mix Puppy:
It is good to place all the grooming and bathing materials in the washroom. Get a rubber bath mat for your Pug Chihuahua mix. Put the rug on the floor of your tub. It will prevent your Chug from slipping. It also helps the puppy feel safe. This way, you will be able to make your Pug Chihuahua mix puppy comfortable.
- Never try to bathe your pup with hot or too cold water. Instead, go for lukewarm water.
Run the bathe until the water is bearable for the Pug Chihuahua mix. Fill four inches of lukewarm water in your tub or sink.
- Make sure the shampoo is recommended by a qualified veterinarian.
- Take some puppy treats with you. Hold your Pug Chihuahua mix puppy and place him on the mat. Pet the puppy and give him a treat. It will help your puppy to consider bathing as a positive activity.
- Use cotton balls to prevent the water from entering the puppy’s ear. This prevents the formation of bacteria. It also prevents ear infections.
- Use a sponge and gently rub the Pug Chihuahua mix’s back, neck, belly, and legs. Clean the puppy’s face. Do not let the water enter his eyes.
- Gently rinse the shampoo with lukewarm water. Make sure the shampoo is entirely removed. Because it can cause skin irritation.
- Rub the puppy with a hand towel to remove any excess water. Brush his coat and remove the cotton balls from his ears. Wrap the Pug Chihuahua mix in a dry towel, so it does not get cold.
- Brushing the Pug Chihuahua Mix’s Coat
Chugs can have different shedding levels. If they have a short coat, they are likely to shed less. In the case of a big coat, you may expect more shedding.
It is good to brush the tiny fellow’s coat twice a day. Use a soft bristle brush to remove any extra fluff. It also removes dead hair and keeps the coat smooth. Try to repeat this process at least once a week.
Cleaning your Pug Chihuahua mix’s teeth is not a thing to miss. Plaque and tarter easily builds up in those tiny mouths. Which leads to tooth decay. The good practice is to brush their teeth several times a week. It prevents any bacterial and gum diseases.
It is wise to use a vet recommended dog toothpaste. Because the fluffy fellow can swallow the toothpaste. The use of human toothpaste is not suggested because it is not edible. Human toothpaste can make your puppy ill.
- Cleaning a chug’s ears
Check your chug’s ears daily. Wipe it with a clean cotton cloth. You can also use a vet-recommended ear cleaning solution. One or two drops of the solution will be enough to reach the ear canal.
- Clipping the Nails
Pug Chihuahua mixes usually do not need much nail trimming. If the chug is active, the nails will automatically trim. But if not, you have to clip the nails by yourself. Do not let them grow too long. Check the nails every two weeks. Trim as needed.
The Pug Chihuahua Mix Common Health Issues
Generally, these lapdogs enjoy a healthy life. In a lifespan of 10-13 years, they have fewer health issues. Because the mixed breed enjoys the positive health attributes of its parents. But they can be affected by some diseases. There are certain health conditions you should be aware of. These health issues include:
- Respiratory Issues
The Pug Chihuahua mix suffer from difficulty in breathing. It is because they adopt small facial features from their Pug parent. Their breathing passage is small.
The chug belong to brachycephalic dogs. Such dogs have a flat head shape. The head shape and facial features make it hard for them to breathe. Eventually, they breathe heavily.
You may find your ball of fluff snorting and doing noise breathing. Snoring is also common in this dog breed.
Extreme weather conditions and excessive running is not suitable for them. The Pug Chihuahua mix cannot regulate their body temperature. This inability of the little fellow can cause reverse sneezing. Overheating is also not recommended. It can result in a chug having a stroke.
The tiny mouth has very little space for teeth. They can have crooked and overlapping teeth. Such teeth structure helps the buildup of tarter. Which can result in gum disease. Brushing the teeth can reduce these problems.
Chug owners should be aware that this pup is not meant for the outdoors. It is their responsibility to protect the dog from hot and cold. Visit a qualified veterinarian for more guidance.
- Eye Problems
The Pug Chihuahua mix may easily develop eye problems. It is because of their face shape. Some common eye problems include:
- Cataracts: Usually, older Pug Chihuahua mixes suffer from this disease. It is like vision loss and leads to blindness. This disease can be cured with surgery.
- Entropion: This is an eye disease in which the eyelids turn inwards. It can cause an eye infection. It also discomforts the pup and irritates.
- Cherry Eye: This condition is more like an itchy mole at the dog’s third eyelid. The reason for this disease is the swelling of tear duct glands.
Some other chug eye diseases include dry eye and Progressive Retinal Atrophy.
- Obesity Problems
Obesity is a common health issue. One reason behind this could be the canine’s huge appetite.
This appetite can come from his parent breeds. It will keep the Pug Chihuahua mix always hungry. The puppy will tend to eat everything. He will continue to eat unless you hide the food somewhere away from his reach.
The second reason can be the owners overfeeding habit. No one can indeed say no to that cute little face. The bright little eyes will make you feed them more. But keep in mind this is not healthy for them.
Also, do not provide them human food.
The best solution to this problem is to get a dog food chart from a vet. Keep an eye on the instructions are given on the pup’s food packet. It will help you prevent fatness in your little The Pug Chihuahua mix.
Some other health issues may include:
- Patellar luxation
- Collapsed Trachea
- And Joint Problems.
Training a Pug Chihuahua Mix
The Pug Chihuahua mix is a confident dog breed. But the little fellow considers himself as a big dog. They tend to prove their superiority in a fight. But the big mean dogs can teach them in a hard way.
This is why they should be trained at an early age. Proper training will help them avoid serious fights. An eight weeks The Pug Chihuahua mix is old enough to be trained.
You may need an experienced dog trainer. Positive reinforcement will be good. This designer breed is smart but has a short focus span. The pooch can easily be distracted. Short training sessions will be helpful in this regard.
A well-established training routine prevents small dog syndrome. Small dog syndrome is a situation where a dog excessively reacts to everything. The puppy can be aggressive and unwilling to obey your commands.
Socializing is equally important. It helps them in getting along with other pets and kids. The best way is to introduce different pets slowly and calmly. Puppy training classes are also a good choice.
You can start socializing the puppy right after his vaccination. A well-socialized The Pug Chihuahua mix makes a great companion for the whole family.
The Chug has a moderate energy level. The cuddly fellow is mostly suitable for indoors. An extreme exercise routine is not required for them. A minimum of 30 minutes of everyday walk is enough for their physical and mental health.
Limited play sessions and short trips make them a good fit for old family members. They do not need long exercise hours because of those tiny legs. Letting them out in the backyard for some time is also enough. Hide some treats in their toy and let them find out.
This little pooch is not designed for tough workouts. They can have breathing issues. Let them take a nap whenever they want. Try to avoid outdoor activities when it is too hot or too cold. Keep in mind that they quickly get tired.
Owners can also make their The Pug Chihuahua mix take part in dog sports. Famous sports include dog rally and other similar games. But first, make sure you do this with a certified vet’s recommendation.
Feeding a Pug Chihuahua Mix
A healthy Chug needs a balanced diet. Make sure the puppy’s diet is filled with necessary nutrition. Must include protein in your The Pug Chihuahua mix’s diet. Protein provides the amino acid for muscular growth. Dietary fats are also an important part of their nutrition. It keeps them energetic and makes their hair and skin fit.
You can feed your Pug Chihuahua mix with dry, raw, or rehydrated food. They will eat it with complete appetite. But be careful with your choice of food. Always read the label before buying to make sure the quality of the product is good. Use high protein dog food (Approximately 20% or high). Do not feed your pup with filler ingredients like corn.
You will be happy to know this little fellow is very low maintenance. 1 cup of food each day is enough for a grown puppy. Split the food cup into two equal portions. One part can be given in the morning, and the other in the evening.
Chug puppies need more energy to grow. You can divide their food into more frequent meals. The Pug Chihuahua mix puppies require additional protein. Consult your veterinarian for more queries.
Always feed your dog based on his age, further activity level size, and health. Do not compromise on the quality of food. It is important to note that Pug Chihuahua mixes quickly gain weight. Be strong and do not overfeed them.
Don’t fall for those big puppy dog eyes!
The Pug Chihuahua Mix Puppy Price and Breeders
The Pug Chihuahua mix are yet not amongst the popular designer breeds. So their prices are affordable. A good breed Pug Chihuahua mix puppy has a price range between 500 to 800 dollars. Their prices are relatively lower than other designer breeds.
Your local vet can recommend you some good breeders. You can also visit your local puppy clubs for more information about chug breeders. You have to do a lot of searches to find a reliable Pug Chihuahua mix breeder. Because it is a new breed, and the American Kennel Club has yet not accepted it.
After seeing the right breeder, make sure you get a puppy that best fits your environment. Tell them whether you want an active puppy or a calm one. Good breeders can match you with the right pup.
It is wise to take health guarantees and check medical records before bringing the Pug Chihuahua mix home. You can also visit the adoption center to bring your little fellow home. Do note how the facility is treating the puppy and visitors.
How to Register a Pug Chihuahua Mix?
Is Pup-Chihuahua Mix Right for You?
Being a mixed breed, it is hard to say how your Pug Chihuahua mix puppy will look. We cannot predict the pup’s temperament as well. If you are more into lapdogs, this puppy is the right choice for you. They are friendly and show endless loyalty. They perfectly fit in small size houses. Their kindness to children and other pets makes them ideal for new dog owners.